This practice has been adapted from a meditation course on the app Insight Timer. The course was ‘Letting go of negative judgement and self criticism’ by Stephanie Nash. I highly recommend this course if you have or are thinking about getting the paid for version of Insight Timer (no affiliation here).
This practice, I find, also aligns with Robin Sharma’s personal utopia principle in ‘The 5 am Club’.
The exercise needs to be done either whilst on a walk outside or whilst people-watching, I recommend doing it whilst alone to channel your focus and attention.
As you go for your daily walk or are people-watching, perhaps sat on a bench, silently wish all the people and animals you pass or see loving kindness.
Internally say ‘I wish you well’ and send them some positive energy coming deep from inside.
It may sound a little bonkers but this simple practice has the potential to do so much.
- It promotes mindfulness and in-the-present thinking
- It causes you to pay attention to what’s around you and appreciate people and animals, their existence, their differences and their struggles
- It allows you to cultivate a loving kindness towards others and experience more compassion
- It sends out positive energy to the universe, a form of giving, vibrating at a higher frequency and manifest positivity in your life.
- It allows you to see the bigger picture outside of yourself
- It makes you feel more positive towards yourself and other people
For me, the biggest effort required is to remember to do it. Otherwise, this is a simple practice which reeps so many benefits and requires veru little effort.